Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Little Late but...Happy Chinese New Year!

I'm a little late in this post, but my class recently learned about Chinese New Year. We began by reading a short book on Chinese New Year. I think the book I purchased did a pretty good job of explaining what CNY actually is and why/how it's celebrated. 

After we learned a little bit about CNY, my students were able to create paper lanterns (which they were totally psyched about!) We used red construction paper that I had one of aides pre-cut - although, I'm pretty sure most of my students could have done themselves if we wanted to take more time with the project.

Because we couldn't find the party streamers (crepe paper) that I thought I had stored in my cabinet, my students ended up curling some construction paper strips with pencils instead. (You have to be flexible!) 




After curling their strips/streamers, they had the opportunity to decorate the lantern with some Elmers glue and glitter. We also utilized some glitter glue for the project - to add some extra sparkle!

After everything had dried, we stapled the two ends together and added another strip of construction paper for the handle. The project was a hit with my kids (who really value any arts and crafts time they get in the classroom) and they learned something about Chinese New Year in the process. 


All in all, I think it was a successful lesson!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment