Sunday, January 26, 2014

DIY Kissing Booth for Photo Sessions

I happened to stumble across Double the Giggles blog the other day, as I was on Pinterest looking for ideas for DIY photo shoot props. She had an amazing DIY tutorial on a kissing booth for Valentine's Day inspired photography sessions. 

Using her tutorial, I managed to put together my own kissing booth prop.

First, I had to locate a wood crate. A fellow photographer and friend of mine told me to check out Michaels. Unfortunately, they did not have any in. I didn't think that JoAnn's would carry it, so I decided to check out Home Depot in the hopes that they might have it. 

And they did! They were having a sale on storage containers and, low and behold, they had wood crates on sale for $7.97 - so I bought two! I also bought some poplar hobby boards - two skinny boards (0.25x2.5x2) and one slightly larger board (the size of which I painted over). Before leaving, I also picked up some carpenter's glue (for wood projects).


I also had picked up some items at Michaels - acrylic paint, tacky glue, heart garland, and different colors of felt (pink, cream, red, white, and gray) that I planned on utilizing for my project. 


To begin, I painted all the wood pieces using some simple BEHR primer/paint two-in-one that I picked up at Home Depot. I used sponge paintbrushes for application and only did two coats - I didn't want it to look perfect. I let that dry and then used the wood glue to glue the smaller, skinny boards to the larger board.


While the boards were drying, I cut a heart pattern out (using a cereal box) and then used that pattern to trace and cut hearts out from the felt pieces. I used tacky glue to glue the hearts together. After they dried, I used tacky glue to glue them onto the front of the box (applying the glue generously so that it would stick!)


After the glue had dried on the boards I had glued together, I realized I wanted to make sure they didn't end up falling apart. (I didn't trust the wood glue!) So, I went back to Home Depot and picked up some nails. I ended up hammering four nails into the wood pieces to make sure the boards were sturdy enough to withstand little bodies sitting on the crate for photos.


After the frame was nailed, I wedged the thin sign supports into the open slats on the crate. Both sides fit pretty snugly and the sign could easily be taken out from the crate for storage purposes. 

Additionally, I created a sign to attach to the frame. I also had picked up some wood letters at Michaels (each one was under $1) and painted them in pink and red.


   
The final version of the kissing booth came out really well. I have already taken some photos of some cute kiddos using my new prop.



If you like my photos, please be sure to visit my Facebook page and "Like" me: https://www.facebook.com/kristinparkerphotographsyou. Let me know what you think of my photos! 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment