Monday, August 12, 2013

(Donors) Choose Me!

With the way school budgets have been for the last few years, it is no surprise that websites such as DonorsChoose have been met with such open arms from the teaching community. 

I put my first project up on the website during the first months of school last fall. It was a small project - worth a few hundred dollars - that would provide my then kindergarten classroom with some much needed assistive technology. The project included things such as a variety of pencil grips, weights, finger puppets that encouraged the appropriate tripod pencil grasp (seriously!), adapted scissors for both right- and left-handed students, and some individual GoTalk communication boards. 

I was surprised and ecstatic to find out in November that my project had been funded in full by one corporate donor. I couldn't believe that it was that easy or that I was that lucky!

Unfortunately, I haven't posted any additional projects on the website because of my lack of time - until recently. I just got done posting a project for a classroom mini iPad - and I'm really excited about it!

Mini iPad
The new district I work for is hoping to make all of the classrooms in their district 1:1 iPad classrooms, with iPads for each student in every classroom. I'm very excited about this, but I know - just as many other teachers do - the expense of such a dream in face of the brutal fiscal situation many districts currently find themselves. So...until I have 15 classroom iPads, I'm not holding my breath.

But I do hope to get just one through my DonorsChoose project. Despite the fact that one iPad to 14 students will not always work in my favor, I figure that one has the potential to get them excited, engaged, and inspired enough to learn this year!

Wish me luck!
post signature

4 comments:

  1. I do hope you get your iPad! I want one too. Just found your blog on TBA....I am a special ed teacher in CA. Laura
    Read-Write-Create

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura!

      Thank you for reading my blog! I've been a fan of Read-Write-Create for a while! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Kristin

      Delete