Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Girl's Best Friend

During my first year of teaching, I decided to invest in a laminator for my classroom. As a special education teacher of young, kindergarten children I felt that I would be saving myself a lot of money, time, and anxiety if I had one of my own and not have to rely on my school's laminator. (My then school site's on-campus laminator was notorious for producing horrible lamination and breaking down constantly.) This was probably one of the better decisions of that year.
Royal laminator
I purchased a Royal laminator from Walmart (for approximately $50) and couldn't have been more happy with it. It was easy to use, durable, and I didn't have to worry about any complicated settings. It was also user-friendly enough where I could solve basic troubleshooting issues and jams independently. 
I loved my classroom laminator so much that earlier this year I bought another one (the same model) for my home!

Unfortunately, as a teacher and graduate student, I got busy and my brand new home laminator sat unopened in its box until recently when I pulled it out to work on laminating some items for new classroom. 

Everything was going wonderful until I put in a sheet to be laminated...and it didn't come out of the other side. Being the geek that I am, I grabbed my toolbox and went to unscrew all the bits and pieces. When I finally managed to take the thing apart, I saw that the piece of lamination had gotten stuck and had almost melded onto a piece of the rack.

I was able to get the jam cleared but the laminator did not survive the process, unfortunately.

The deceased
I couldn't fathom losing my laminator so I went onto Amazon and immediately purchased another one. This time around I decided to go with the Scotch brand - it was cheaper than the original laminator and had a variation of settings for different thicknesses of lamination. (It also had much better reviews than the Royal!)

I was planning on laminating this weekend, but I guess that plan is nixed until I get my new laminator. (You'll get to see the fruits of my labor when I post pictures of my new classroom next week!)

Until next time...
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment