Thursday, July 25, 2013

It's That Time of Year!

So, apart from the winter holiday season (Thanksgiving until about New Year's), the beginning of the school year is one of my favorite times of year. I know it's time to go school supply shopping when I start seeing Target's "back to school" commercials start playing on repeat on the TV.

As a student, I always relished that weekend in August when my mom would gather my younger sister and I up and take us back to school shopping. Being a Catholic school student, our first order of business was to purchase new uniforms for the school year. (This part wasn't my favorite.) We'd spend a good 45 minutes at the tiny, overheated uniform store trying on skorts, skirts, jumpers, and crisp polos. If my mom was feeling generous (which, thankfully, was often), she'd even throw in a matching headband or bow.

My sister and I on my first day of kindergarten
Next came my favorite part of the weekend shopping spree - a trip to Office Depot and Target. We'd march, determined, into these stores - school supply list in hand - and hope to get as much checked off as possible in one stop. My sister and I would each find school supplies that tailored to our own likes (for my sister, it was always animals...for me, it was pink and girly) and my mom would diligently put the items into our shopping basket and move to the next item on the list.

Before ending our back to school shopping, my mom would take us to one more store - Sanrio. She'd let my sister and me pick out one pencil box and some pencils to complete the set. I loved these special extras...and to this day still have a slightly unhealthy obsession with all things Hello Kitty.

As a teacher now - and knowing that school supplies and uniforms don't come with a cheap price tag - I'm more appreciative of my mom and her generosity with school supplies than I was at the ripe age of eight or nine. Teaching students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds has put a lot of things into perspective and I'm extremely grateful and blessed to have had the upbringing I did by a mother who could afford to buy school supplies for both of her children and splurge on little extras like pencil boxes from Sanrio. 

That sense of excitement still overcomes me at the beginning of each school year as the summer comes to an end and it's time to head into the office supply store for school supplies. Thankfully, I have teacher friends who relish in the excitement with me. I spent this afternoon shopping with my friend Melissa (from The Adventures of Room 83) and we left both Office Depot and Target with bags in hand! Although I haven't gotten the chance to get into my new classroom yet and see what I have and what I will need, I bought some supplies that could be readily used in any situation. 










Most of my loot came from Target's dollar section, including the reading comprehension books and non-fiction readers. I also managed to nab a desk calendar that is reminiscent of Eric Carle with the polka dots - love it!

And, being the movie aficionado that I am, I couldn't resist picking up a couple of DVDs to add to my ever-growing collection...



I'm sure this won't be the only trip I make to pick up things for my new classroom, but with all my fantastic finds I found the first round, I'm excited to get things rolling in my new classroom! Until next time...

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    Popped over from The Teacher's Chair. I loved back to school shopping too! now as a teacher all the little bits they bring in make me a bit nuts. Ha! Those wipe clean math facts cards are calling my name!
    Deirdre
    A Burst of First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Deirdre!

    Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to hear that someone else shares my affinity for school shopping. I know what you're talking about, though, with the "little bits" - I have kids bringing all sorts of things in that prove to be more of a distraction than a tool.

    And the math fact cards are only $1! Some incentive to go to Target a.s.a.p.! :)

    Thanks again!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete