Friday, July 19, 2013

I see London, I see France...


After a two-week hiatus, I am finally back to blogging! I have spent the last 14 days traveling around France and England with a group of 5th and 6th graders with the program People to People Student Ambassadors. (If you haven’t heard of them, check out their website!) As much as I wanted (and probably needed) a break from students this summer, I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to travel abroad.

As a teacher leader, I was one of three adults in charge of a group of 26 students from California and New York. The group consisted of students from private and public schools alike and of various socioeconomic backgrounds. The other leader from CA and myself have been working with our California delegation since October, so we have had several months to get to know all of our students and families. 

We had the opportunity to visit some amazing places. We started our trip in Paris, France where we were able to visit and explore some of the more well known sites – the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre, Sacre Couer, and the Eiffel Tower. We also explored the Palace of Versailles, the Montmartre area, and the Champs-Élysées. Before leaving France, we had the opportunity to visit the memorial museum in Normandy and tour Omaha and Utah beaches from D-Day. We also visited the memorial cemetery and partook in a special ceremony with our entire group.




 



After leaving Normandy, we travelled on an overnight ferry to Portsmouth, England and began making our way to London. Along the way we visited Warwick Castle, the city of Bath, and Salisbury Cathedral (home of one of the four surviving Magna Carta documents in the world). When we did finally make it to London, we explored Westminster - saw the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, and Westminster Abbey. We had a bird’s eye view of London from the London Eye. We experienced London’s transportation system – the underground or “tube.” Our group also visited the Churchill War Rooms, St. James’ Park, and Buckingham Palace – we even got to see the changing of the guard!





It was tiring at the end (especially with the amount of walking we did each day and with the foot injury I had sustained while we were in Paris) and I was happy to board the plane to come back to LA. Our group was great (with the exception of one student) and I would gladly do it again next year. These past two weeks was a nice vacation away from the familiar and I’m hoping to get one more weekend trip (possibly to San Diego or the Bay area) in before I have to return to work in August.

Now that I'm back, I will be concentrating on finally getting things ready to open my Etsy and TPT shops - so stay tuned for freebies that I may post in anticipation of the openings! Happy summer!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful adventure! I'm a special ed teacher too. Laura

    Read-Write-Create

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

      My trip was a wonderful adventure - the first of many, I hope! It was amazing to see everything that our group did...I had a blast even with my injury.

      Thank you for stopping by the blog!

      Kristin

      Delete